Checkout my blog of using automation of setting up an initial user https://devops4solutions.com/automate-ansible-playbook-deployment-on-aws-ec2/
In this blog we will Setup SSH Key and initial user using Ansible Playbook
To create new user on ubuntu system, you need the following things:
- Public Key of the user
- You will first create a user on one machine. Machine can be your local workstation also
- Generate ssh-key for this
- Put the public key of that user to the remote hosts.
- Add that user to the sudoers.d file
useradd -m -s /bin/bash devops
echo -e ‘devops\tALL=(ALL)\tNOPASSWD:\tALL’ > /etc/sudoers.d/devopsEncrypt your password
sudo apt install whois -ymkpasswd — method=SHA-512
TYPE THE PASSWORD ‘devops’
Generate a new SSH-key
- Login as a devops user
ssh-keygen -t rsa
It will generate the public and private key file for the devops user.
Now we have to add this public key to all the remote hosts.
Create Ansible playbook “add-user-ssh.yml”
- Add a devops user
- Now we want to disable the Password Authentication on all the remote hosts.This means no user/root user can login to the system by using password. They have to use the SSH keys only.
- hosts: all
- devops_password: 'abcddefsfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfd'